Contact             About              Site Map            Privacy                          Copyright © 2012   All Rights Reserved   
July 29, 2012
BW showed up this morning around 11:30 a.m.
We only had general admission tickets to the race today.
Originally we had planned to drive the car and take coolers ,
lawn chairs, a tent for shade, and all the rest of the gear.
The weather was supposed to hit 90 degrees.
Instead, BW rode my motorcycle and I rode my scooter.  The
only thing we took with us was some beer in my top case.

We drove through town and avoided the hiways.

We came in off 16th Street encountering no traffic.  Since
we were on bikes, they let us in to park in motorcycle parking.

We grabbed a beer and headed toward the paddock.

Once we were on the edge of it, we were not allowed in.  This
year the speedway was using the old F1 garages for  NASCAR
and they had the whole area fenced off to keep fans that
didn't have seats out.   We did not get to go to Gasoline
Alley.  We did not get to go out and walk along pit road or
around the Pagoda Tower.  LAME.
So, we walked back to the middle road where
we caught a bicycle taxi who took us down to
Turn 3.

On the way, we passed a car corral that had a
lot of cool cars, including Vettes and
Turn 3 Infield

We got there in time for the
invocation and national anthem.
The flyover was by two Ospreys.
Strange looking aren't they?
Apparently their giant propellers rotate so that
they can lift straight off the ground like a
helicopter, then rotate forward to fly like an
airplane.  They looped around the entire track.
Indiana has been suffering from the worst
drought in 50 years.    I was shocked at
the lush green grass on the viewing hill.
The grass in most peoples' yards are brown
and dead.
I doubt these people could see the race,
but they were likely enjoying the shade.
This little baby is 2 months old.
This video was created by BW
today using his cell phone.

We had a good time today.  Brian
appreciated going to the track
and not lugging a bunch of stuff
around and being tied down to
one spot.

We drove our bikes out as soon
as Jimmie Johnson won the race
(for the 4th time.)  We drove
through downtown, encountering
no traffic, and got home quickly.

Later, some friends came over
and we watched the race on TV.
We walked along the back straight winding
our way south.  There were people all along
the viewing hills, but it was not too crowded.  

There was one concession stand open in Turn
3, where we bought a 16 oz Budweiser for $5.

The problem with being in the infield is that
you don't have TV screens nor can you hear
the p.a. system so that it is difficult to
follow the race.   Also, the cars were so noisy
it was hard to talk to anyone.
What would be nice to have if you are going to
hang out in the infield for a race are some
good headphones hooked up to an intercom so
that you can talk to your friends and also a
scanner so that you can hear how the race is
Back to where we started.
The inside stands in the south chute.
The fountain in front of the musuem.

I was hungry and we hit the concession
stand, but they were out of sandwiches and
ketchup.  I ended up with some nachos,
chicken strips and french fries for $12.  
They were not very good.