June 2020 News
Home           Contact            About              Site Map            Privacy                               Copyright © 2020  IndySpeedway.com   All Rights Reserved
RACE NEWS & VIEWS
News Index
Indy Lights Season Cancelled

June 1 - INDYCAR and Andersen Promotions today
announced that Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires
competition will be deferred until 2021 following a joint
meeting over the weekend to address several variables
affecting the 2020 calendar. Due to the COVID-19
pandemic, and modifications to the INDYCAR race
calendar as a result, multiple companion events were
cancelled for the series, rendering the 2020 season no
longer viable.

“The effects of the global pandemic on businesses,
including racing, have been severe,” said
Dan Andersen,
Owner and CEO of Andersen Promotions. “The changes
to our overall calendar of races as well as each event
weekend’s scheduling and the ability for some of our
drivers to compete has impacted the Indy Lights series far
more harshly than our other two championships. With less
of a cushion to begin with, it became increasingly apparent
that the 2020 season was in jeopardy and the best plan was
to take a pause, reconstitute for 2021, and do our best to
enhance the Indy Lights championship for next season.

“After discussions with INDYCAR and understanding of
their firm commitment to Indy Lights going forward, we,
together, decided to suspend the 2020 Indy Lights season.
We recognize that this will cause some hardships, but we
hope all participants will realize the necessity of this
decision and we look ahead to 2021 with a promise of
better things to come.”

The two junior levels of the Road to Indy – the Indy Pro
2000 Championship Presented by Cooper Tires and the
Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship – will continue with
a full season of competition in 2020.
Carlin Withdraws Entry From Texas Race

June 2 - The first IndyCar race of the season finally
happens this weekend in Texas.  

Carlin tweeted today that they have to withdraw their #31
entry, but say
Conor Daly will be there in the #59 car.

Earlier in the season, Carlin announced that Daly would
fill in for
Max Chilton at the four oval races that Chilton
doesn't want to race on. (Daly will be driving on all the
street and road courses for Ed Carpenter Racing.

While Carlin had originally planned to get Brazilian
Felipe
Nasr
to drive the #31 just at the first race of the season at
St Pete, I've never heard them announce a regular driver
for the car.

While they blame the European economy, I wonder why
there is no mention of a driver being withdrawn; if they
had one.
F1 Announces First 8 Races for 2020

June 2 - Formula One has revealed the details of the first
eight races on the revised calendar.

The opening eight races of the calendar will take place in
Europe, across six circuits:
Red Bull Ring, AUSTRIA
Red Bull Ring, AUSTRIA
Hungaroring, HUNGARY
Silverstone, BRITIAN
Silverstone, BRITIAN
Catalunya, SPAIN
Spa, BELGIUM
Monza, ITALY
July 5
July 12
July 19
Aug 2
Aug 9
Aug 16
Aug 30
Sep 6
Concerning pandemic precautions that will be taken, F1
boss Chase Carey said, “We will test before you go there,
then there will be testing every two days. There are
processes if we find an infection. We recognise there is the
possibility so we’re prepared to appropriately deal with it,
if we find a positive infection. We’re working on putting in
place tracking capabilities, we have two different tracking
options.

“In many ways, it will be like living in a bubble from when
you start travelling on charter planes. There will be
controlled transportation to hotels, transportation back and
forth to the track from hotels. And probably within it, sub
bubbles of people who operate different functions and it is
set up to manage the processes, make sure we have the
right protective equipment and social distancing.

“We’d like to have fans at the events,” he says. “But
we’re not going to have fans at our first events.
F1 hopes to hold 15-18 races this season if all goes well.
Tony Kanaan's Farewell Tour Kicks Off

June 3 - Tony Kanaan announced his long time sponsor
7-11 is returning and he'll have his old livery back on his
car for the Texas IndyCar race this weekend.

Kanaan decided to retire from IndyCar driving, but was
first going to run the oval races in 2020.

The 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner is set for career start
No. 318  – driving the No. 14 A.J. Foyt Racing Chevrolet
alongside the team’s new full-season driver,
Charlie
Kimball
, in the No. 4 Chevy.

Kanaan has yet to drive an IndyCar fitted with the new
aeroscreen cockpit protection system.
Kanaan Became 2004 IRL Champion with his Win at Texas
Brickyard 400 To Run without Spectators

June 4 - Due to pandemic restriction in Indianapolis, the
speedway will have to hold the much anticipated July 4th
weekend events without spectators.

These events include the NASCAR Brickyard 400, the
INDYCAR GMR Grand Prix and the new Xfinity
Pennzoil 150 at the Brickyard races.

Everyone in Central Indiana and around the country can
tune in to the historic NASCAR-INDYCAR double-header
weekend live on NBC. This will be the first time the
NASCAR Cup Series and NASCAR Xfinity Series have
shared the same track with the NTT INDYCAR SERIES
on the same event weekend.
Fans who have purchased reserved seats or general
admission tickets to the GMR Grand Prix, Pennzoil 150
or Brickyard 400 will have the option for a credit to future
IMS events, such as the 2020 Indianapolis 500 presented
by Gainbridge or Harvest GP, or a refund.
IMS will contact these fans directly.

Other public events surrounding the weekend have been
canceled given the decision to run all races without fans.
This includes the Driven2SaveLives BC39 USAC Midget
race and the FGL Fest concert. Fans who have purchased
tickets to these events also will have the option to receive
credit to a future IMS event or a refund and will be
contacted directly by IMS.

The NBC television schedule for the weekend will be
released soon.