Latest news is at the bottom
|All Indy 500 News Is on It's Own Page... CLICK HERE
Formula One Tries To Bring Down Costs
May 1 - The FIA announced new cost cutting regulations for Formula One. The
Council imposed a spending cap of $58.9 million. The spending cap is optional.
Teams can elect each year whether to participate.
Teams choosing to abide by the cap will be allowed greater technical freedom,
primarily use of movable front and rear wings, and unlimited engine revolutions.
They also will be allowed unlimited out-of-season testing and wind tunnel use.
Engines currently are limited to 18,000 rpm. Cosworth, which dropped out of F1
in 2006, is said to have an affordable engine available that could generate
All teams intending to compete in 2010 are subject to a refueling ban, which is
intended to cut costs and promote better fuel mileage. All teams are also subject
to a tire-warmer ban.
Formula One's Two-Tier System Is Rejected
May 17 - Most teams already made it clear they don't oppose the
new cost regulations, but they do oppose the fact that there will
be two sets of rules within one competition.
Every factory team has demanded that the FIA reconsider it's
proposal to allow two sets of rules in F1.
The teams have until the end of the month to apply to compete in
2010. It is looking like the only teams ready to do so are Brawn,
Williams and Force India.
New Indycars for 2012
May 17 - The V-8 engines that have powered Indycars since
1997, will be replaced with turbo-engines with fewer cylinders in
2012. So far, Honda, who powers the series currently, is in favor
of 6 cylinders. VW is expressing an interest in competing in the
series, but feel a 4-cylinder is the way to go. Fiat and Alf Romeo
are also interested in joining the IRL.
While the IRL wishes to continue to use alternative fuels, the
European companies are not interested in using Ethanol, which
power Indycars today.
Also, a new chassis will be designed once an engine formula is in
place. A desire for more safety and a car that can be easily
converted between ovals and road courses will be the main goals.
Tony George Refutes Management Changes at IMS
May 28 - A stupid rumor that TG was getting ousted from his
position as CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, has forced
George to make public that this is false.
George said: “Contrary to published reports, I continue to serve
as CEO of IMS. Our board of directors met yesterday, and we did
discuss how to best confront challenges and exploit opportunities
facing our businesses. This is nothing new and is something that
we continually do as a board. But no changes in leadership or
responsibility have been made. We don’t normally comment on
board deliberations concerning our family business. However, the
widespread, inaccurate reports and rumors caused my mother
and me to conclude that it was necessary to set the record
straight. If changes are made in the management of the company
that are newsworthy, we will announce them when they are made.”
Paul Tracy to Drive for Foyt
May 28 - Paul Tracy will be filling in for Vitor Meira at
Milwaukee. He might run some more races for AJ Foyt
Enterprises, depending upon how things go.
Tracy will drive for KV Racing at Toronto and Edmonton in July
and Meira is out for 4-6 months with two broken vertebrae in his
Williams F1 Out at FOTA
May 28 - Williams F1 team confirmed that they had submitted their
Formula One entry for 2010. Then the Formula One Teams
Association (FOTA) suspended the Frank Williams team from the
organization, temporarily, because of their ongoing battle with the
Sir Frank Williams said, "FOTA's decision, although regrettable,
is understandable. However, as a racing team and a company
whose only business is Formula One, with obligations to our
partners and our employees, submitting our entry to next year's
Championship was unquestionable."
The suspension is a first for FOTA and the alliance between the
F1 teams under the FOTA banner has been strong but now it
appears fragile. The deadline for filing the formal 2010 entries is
Williams added, "In addition, we are legally obliged under our
contract with FOM and the FIA to participate in the World
Championship until the end of 2012."